May 13, 2005

Lessons from 1777

The following is from the first book of the 1777 New England Primer. What does this mean? Well, simply put, it was the "first grade" lesson book for school children. No matter your age, this was the first material you would learn. Take a look and see what you think. As for me, I was impressed with the abundance of praises to God and the obvious reference of Him. I wonder how our nation would be if we were once again allowed to use this type of material in our classrooms...and actually believed and lived as, these verses encourgage us to.


Children, like tender osiers, take the bow,
And as they first are fashioned always grow;
For what we learn in youth, to that alone,
In age, we are by second nature prone

AN ALPHABET OF LESSONS FOR CHILDREN.

A WISE son makes a glad father, but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.

BETTER is a little, with the fear of the Lord, than great treasure, and trouble therewith.

COME unto Christ, all ye who labor and are heavy hiden, and he will give you rest.

Do not the abominable thing which I hate, saith the Lord.

EXCEPT a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

FOOLISHNESS is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it from him.

GRIEVE not the Holy Spirit, lest it depart from thee.

IT is good for me to draw near unto God.

KEEP thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life.

LIARS will have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brinistone

MANY are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord delivers them out of them all.

NOW is the accepted time; now is the day of salvation.

OUT of the abundance of the heart thy mouth speaketh.

PRAY to thy Father who is in secret, and, thy Father who sees in secret will reward thee openly.

QUIT you like men; be strong; stand fast in the faith.

REMEMBER thy Creator in the days of thy youth.

SALVATION belongeth unto the Lord.

TRUST in God at all times, ye people; pour out your hearts before him.

UPON the wicked God will rain a horrible tempest.

WOE to the wicked; it will be ill with him, for the reward of his hand will be given him.

EXHORT one another daily while it is called to-day, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

YOUNG men, you have overcome the wicked one.

ZEAL hath consumed me, because my enemies have forgotten the word of God.




VERSES for Children
THOUGH I am young a little one,
If I can Speak and go alone,
Then I must learn to know the Lord,
And learn to read his holy word.
'Tis time to seek God and pray
For what I want for every day:
I have a precious soul to save,
And I a mortal body have,
Tho' I am young yet I may die,
And hasten to eternity:
There is a dreadful fiery hell,
Where wicked ones must always dwell:
There is a heaven full of Joy,
Where godly ones must always stay:
To one of these my soul must fly,
As in a moment when I die:
When God that made me,
calls me home,
I must not stay I must be gone.
He gave me life, and gives me breath,
And he can save my soul from death,
By JESUS CHRIST my only Lord,
According to his holy word.
He clothes my back and makes me warm:
He saves my flesh and bones from harm.
He gives me bread and milk and meat
And all I have that's good to eat.
When I am sick, he if he please,
Can make me well and give me ease:
He gives me sleep and quiet rest,
Whereby my body is refresh'd
The Lord is good and kind to me,
And very thankful I must be:
I must obey and love and fear him,
By faith in Christ I must draw near him.
I must not sin as others do,
Lest I lie down in sorrow too:
For God is angry every day,
With wicked ones who go astray,
All sinful words I must restrain:
I must not take God's name in vain.
I must not work, I must not play,
Upon God's holy sabbath day.
And if my parents speak the word,
I must obey them in the Lord.
Nor steal, nor lie, nor spend my days,
In idle tales and foolish plays,
I must obey my Lord's commands,
Do something with my little hands:
Remember my creator now,
In youth while time will it allow.
Young SAMUEL that little child,
He serv'd the Lord, liv'd undefil'd;
Him in his service God employ'd,
While ELI's wicked children dy'd:
When wicked children mocking said,
To a good man, Go up bald head,
God was displeas'd with them and sent
Two bears which them in pieces rent,
I must not like these children vile,
Displease my God, myself defile.
Like young ABIJAH, I must see,
That good things may be found in me,
Young King JOSIAH, that blessed youth,
He sought the Lord and lov'd the truth;
He like a King did act his part,
And follow'd God with all his heart.
The little children they did sing,
Hosannahs to their heavenly King.
That blessed child young TIMOTHY,
Did learn God's word most heedfully.
It seem'd to be his recreation,
Which made him wise unto salvation:
By faith in Christ which he had gain'd
With prayers and tears that faith unfeign'd
These good examples were for me;
Like these good children I must be.
Give me true faith in Christ my Lord,
Obedience to his holy word,
No word is in the world like thine,
There's none so pure, sweet and divine.
From thence let me thy will behold,
And love thy word above fine gold.
Make my heart in thy statutes sound,
And make my faith and love abound.
Lord circumcise my heart to love thee:
And nothing in this world above thee:
Let me behold thy pleased face,
And make my soul to grow in grace,
And in the knowledge of my Lord
And Saviour Christ, and of his word.

Today's Music: My Peace.