May 25, 2005

Be strong in the Lord

Ephesians 6:10 -11
"Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." WEB



Ever wonder what this means, "be strong in the Lord"? I have. I've read this explaination: "Many times we fall because we haven't learned that to be strong means to be aware of how weak we are."(seekgod.ca)

OK, so we need to be aware of how weak we are, still doesn't answer how to be strong in the Lord does it? I don't think so. I'm very aware of the weaknesses in my life and my inablity to overcome in the heat of a struggle. But really how does knowing my weaknesses make me strong?


Ahh, the answer comes in understanding the battles that are fought. Once I realized that the battles we go through are on a spiritual level, it makes sense. I have NO power in the spiritual on my own, but with God I am fully armed. He is my Salvation, my Righteousness, my Truth, my Shield, my Peace, my source of strength in the Word, and I have an open line of communication through Prayer - which ultimately brings God into the situation. What a picture! I am weak on my own but with him I become a Spiritual Soldier and I am able to stand!
Be strong
But don't be strong in yourself -
In your muscles and your mass -
In your swaggering saga of, "I can do anything! Just watch."
Be strong in something that you cannot bench press or measure,
something that weighs less than a feather,
but can withstand the pressure of the ages.

As I come into the understanding of my weakness, the understanding of other "weakness" verses become so very clear. Verses such
as:
2Co 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. "

How comforting is it to know that I have a God I can trust fully to be there for me when I call out to him. When I am at my weakest, to know that He is not only there but is pouring out his grace and his strength to help me. May I continue to be aware of my limitations and 'be strong in the Lord."