May 18, 2005

Favorite Quotes & Such

Sit back and relax, enjoy some of my favorites...

There are no words to express
the abyss between isolation and
having one ally.
It may be conceded to the mathematician
that four is twice two.
But two is not twice one;
two is two thousand times one.

--JK Chesterton


The Christian way is different:
harder, and easier. Christ says, "Give me All.
I don't want so much of your time and so much of
your money and so much of your work: I want You...
No half-measures are any good. I don't want to cut
off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have
the whole tree down...Hand over the whole natural self,
all the desires which you think innocent as well as
the ones you think wicked-- the whole outfit.
I will give you Myself: my own will shall become yours."

--C.S. Lewis, The Joyful Christian


A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.
-- Opening scene of "Faust"


"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

--Churchill


A good question for an atheist is to serve him a
fine dinner, & then ask if he believes there is a cook.

"for the Benefit of Clergy." as seen in The Anglican Digest


You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.
-- unknown


Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee...

--Isaiah 26:3


Quietude, which some men cannot abide because it reveals
their inward poverty, is as a palace of cedar to the wise,
for along its hallowed courts the King in his beauty deigns to walk.

--Charles Haddon Spurgeon (C.H.S.), 1834-1892

There are some things that can be learned by the head,
but ...Christ crucified can only be learned by the heart.

--C.H.S.



The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances,
than failures, than success, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company... church...a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every
day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... The
only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to
me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

-- Charles Swindoll


If you read history you will find that the Christians who did
most for the present world were those who thought most of the
next. The apostles themselves, who set out on foot to convert
the Roman Empire, the great men who built up the Middle Ages,
the English evangelicials who abolished the slave trade, all
left their mark on earth, preceisely because their minds were
occupied with Heaven. It is since Christians have largely ceased
to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective
in this one. Aim at Heaven and you will get earth "thrown in." Aim
at earth and you will get neither.

--C.S. Lewis

Why should we worry about what others think of us,
do we have more confidence in their opinions than
we do in our own?
--Brigham Young


Help me this day to live a simple, sincere and serene life,
repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety,
descouragement, impurity, and self-seeking; cutlivating
cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy
silence; exercising economy in expenditure, generosity in
giving, carefulness in conversation, diligence in appointed
service, fidelity in every trust, and a childlike faith in God.

In particular I will try to be faithful in those habits of prayer,
work, study, physical exercise, eating and sleep, which I believe
the Holy Spirit has shown me to be right.

And as I cannot on my own strength do this, nor even with a
hope of success attempt it, I look to thee, O Lord God my
Father, in Jesus my Savior, and ask for the gift of the Holy Spirit.

--from: Forward Day by Day


When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully
upon the closed door that we don't see the one that has opened for us.

-- Alexander Graham Bell