August 20, 2005

Talking with God

During my walk as a Christian I have discovered that my conversations with God, my relationship with Him, didn't always look the same as someone else's. At first this concerned me. You see, I had a preconception that I had to speak to Him a certain way, use certain words, kneel or fold my hands, etc. I had preconceived "prayer rules," believed I had to have fear when approaching Him, etc.

As a former Catholic I was taught certain beliefs about God and how to address him. Sadly, these teachings were not the type that drew me to Him as a God I could truly have a relationship with, let alone call my best friend. The teachings were based on fearing the Lord -- not the reverence type of fear that all believers should have -- but a punishing oppressive fear. (This is not to say all Catholic churches taught or teach that way, just referring to my childhood church.)

With this incorrect view of God I found, and sometimes continue to find, it difficult to really talk to Him. It has been a relief to begin to truly understand who God is and His desire to relate to me in such a personal way each and every day. His desire is for me to know him as "ABBA" (Mar14:36; Rom8:15; Gal4:6) In Romans we are taught that we are adopted into His family: Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.)


As men and women, adopted into the family of God, we are called to go to Him at all times and for all reasons. To climb up into his lap as a child would, lay our head upon his chest and tell him our thoughts, ask him our questions, let him rock us and teach us in the comfort of his arms. And just like a true Father there will be times of rebuke, correction and lessons that need to be learned. How much easier to understand and accept these when we see God for who he really is and desires to be, our Abba Father.

May today be the first of many days that you find yourself climbing into the lap of God and having a good long talk as His child, His friend, your Heavenly Father.