June 03, 2005

Thoughts about Rain


Wow did we get a lot of rain today! I thought it would never end, but then I thought about it and realized that so much beauty and growth comes from rain.

When we were children we would jump in puddles, splash in the water, turn our faces upwards and let the drops fall on our faces. As children we could find the joy in the rain.

Then I thought some more as the rain continued to pour down and realized the beauty that comes from the rain: watching the trees glisten when the light hits the drops fresh on the branches, the growth of the flowers as the water nurishes their roots, the rainbows in the sky as the light reflects off the water. So much beauty to be found from rain, so much life and so much growth.

Again I thought some more and I realized that periods of rain happen in our own lives. I reflected on these times and saw that it was during the "rain" that I've experienced the most growth. It is in these times of trial that God strengthens our roots, allows us to draw closer to him and teaches us about ourselves, about him.

I looked out the window and now the rain has stopped. The sun is peeking through the clouds, the birds are chirping and raindrops are glistening off the branches, what a beautiful sight! May we know that when the rain had passed we too will be able to show growth and beauty.